Thursday, September 16, 2010

I May Be Crazy


I've had an idea in my head for about two or three weeks and it won't go away. Maybe it's because I wasn't supposed to exercise per the chiro, but the idea has lodged in my brain. I want to run a 5k.


The idea is crazy to me. I remember in high school being told that we should be able to run a mile in under 13 minutes and I couldn't. Not even close. I failed phys. ed. that semester because of that. Not that I really cared. But if I couldn't run one mile at 17, how do I think I could run 3.11 miles as a 32 year old?


Except that I just decided to try. I got on that treadmill this morning and I ran one whole mile! The adrenaline that I felt at being able to do it... was amazing to me! I tend to tell myself that I can't do things. I'm too fat, too old, too short, out of shape, not smart enough, etc, etc, etc. I'm rarely ever very high on myself. But, I think I can do this.


After I finished that mile, I was out of breath but so happy. I ran upstairs and literally pounced on Mark, who was still in bed. I told him what I did and what I planned on doing. He sounded so proud of me. It reminded me of how excited I would get when I would tell him how I aced a test or got that amazing solo in Choir when I was a Senior in high school. That proud, happy smile he would give me because I was his girl.


So, I'm going to do this. I'm going to do it for Mark and Annabelle. So that they will see that I can finish something when I really put my mind to it. But really, I'm doing it for me

3 comments:

  1. Damn a whole mile just like that? I had to work up to it. but i started out at a mile 1/2.
    First time I stopped 5 times. Now I dont have to stop at all.
    My goal is to run in a 5k. However I dont know if I will ever be ready.

    I am always out of breath. ; (

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been walk/running on the treadmill 3-5 days a week for about 6 months prior to the mile run. But I was still proud of myself for actaully doing it.

    We have the Turkey Trot every year on Thanksgiving. I'm hoping I'll be able to do it by then but that's only 2 months from now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! You should totally do this. I myself, am not a runner...I used to try but I've given up!

    I also think you should tell people you have a blog (per your last post). It's been so much fun for my friends and family to hear stories and see pictures of us that they would never otherwise have known about.

    Maybe you can type up your "complaint" posts and just not publish them. That way you get to vent but no one knows about it! ;)

    http://kandilandblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete