Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Slipping Away

This morning, Annabelle asked to go out to the bus by herself.  I usually walk her to the end of the driveway and watch her cross the street and wave good-bye.  But today she did it all by herself.

She's growing up so fast.  It feels like it was just yesterday that she was a tiny, little snugglebug, wrapped in my arms and now... she's in Kindergarten.  She doesn't need me like she once did and while I love seeing her growing up, it still stings.

Over the last couple of months, I've noticed little things that Annabelle does or says and I can see her in the future.  A tilt of her head, an expression, a phrase and I can picture her at 16, 21, falling in love.  It startles me. 

I remember being little and always looking for the next thing.  Time moved so slowly.  A day took a year and that next birthday, holiday, vacation seemed so far away from me.  Now, time moves at a blink of an eye.  I laughed at Mark when he tried to convince me that he was 33, when in fact in about 4 months he'll be 35!  Time seems to be moving too fast for him too.

I'm trying to cherish all of her 5 year old-ness right now.  Because I look into my future and she's slipping away.  She'll always be my baby but... I miss her.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness, me too! My little girl is 7 going on 17! She's still very connected to me, but as she leaves little bits of her babyhood behind every day. I watch old videos of her, and oh, I miss that little baby girl!
    Okay, I think we're going to need to have a big meet-up so we can cry together and mourn the change from moms-of-babies to moms-of-young-ladies. sigh. :')

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your right....1st hand experiance, my baby is 20. Not sure how that happened. Enjoy your little Annabelle, she'll be little for awhile yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often think about this when W needs extra cuddling or just needs Momma sometimes. It can be frustrated, but really, just thinking about how much he'll grow and change and eventually move out, it makes me want to hold him that much longer.

    But you do have one beautiful and sweet girl on your hands it looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been having those same future glimpses of my girls! Just lately, they've been growing up much too fast! And I would like to say I'm still 33 though my gray roots and newly forming wrinkles tends to differ. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time does indeed slip away. Before you know it she will be a teenager, driving, high school, boyfriends. I know it is cliche but cherish it while you can and for as long as you can. She will however always be your baby.

    ReplyDelete