Thursday, October 27, 2011

Apple Picking

Columbus weekend was beautiful here in Buffalo, so I decided we needed to do as much as humanly possible.  You never know when the weather will turn and the winter coats will be a must.  So on that Saturday we jumped in the car and headed on over to Blackman Farms, up in Lockport.  It was the picture perfect day for apple picking.  The sun was shining and we wore shorts and t-shirts, in October! 

This is another one of those yearly activities for us.  Annabelle loves picking the apples and seeing the few animals that are there.  One year we even picked Concord grapes but it's so messy and with the seeds, they are hard to eat, so we haven't done it again.

We got some apple cider slushies (OMG so good!) and tried a bunch of different apple butters, plus we played around with all the weird looking gourds and pumpkins they had.  But first, on to the apples!

She kept telling me it was hard to pick apples.  They were really attached to the branches.

But she was so happy to be picking.

We decided she was big enough to try the ladder as long as someone was with her, of course.

This time Grandpa was helping her out.

Mark was taking pictures of my bum, but did get one nicer one of all of me here.

I love pictures with sun flare.  I just think they look so cool.

Posing by one of the apple tree signs, except we picked Jonagold and not Cortland.

It looks heavy but was hollow.

Trying to balance it on her head.  Look at that concentration!

Ta Da!  But why does she look so concerned?

Sitting on a white one!

After we finished up there, we went out to eat at Grover's.  It's a local restaurant that makes hamburgers the size of a meatloaf!  They are so good but eating even half makes me so full.  You have to get there by 3:30 or you will be waiting forever to be seated.  I can't wait to try a fish fry there one of these days.  We ended up having so much fun that day.  It made me happy to be able to spend some nice quality taime with my family.

4 comments:

  1. Looked like such a fun time. What a lovely family.
    P.S. I love that your hubby was taking pics of your "bum" oh those men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOH!! So jealous that you get to go apple picking! I would love to do that with my kids but there are no apple farms around Texas that I know of.. Very cute pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An apple slushie sounds good. We are going to an apple farm tomorrow. My kids are very excited.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun day! Those pumpkins are beautiful and I would love to try an apple slushie. Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete