Thursday, June 2, 2011

Smartphones


Smart phones are everywhere these days.  Most of the people I know either have one or are planning on getting one in the very near future.  I, on the other hand, despise them!  I know that I'm low man on the totem pole for this but I really hate them. 

I hate that people don't think that it's rude to constantly have their phones right there with them at all times.  When I'm hanging out with friends, and they keep checking their texts or answering their phones in the middle of our conversations, I see RED!  It's like what I'm saying isn't important enough for them to actually pay attention to.  Or because they have instant access to the web/FB they feel the need to be on it.  Especially if they are on vacation.  I've seen status updates  from people on their honeymoons.  Really, is your new husband or wife not interesting enough to leave the "real" world for that week?  Do you think that maybe you could be doing something else?  I know what I did on my honeymoon, but maybe it's just me.  When I'm on vacation, I don't think about any of you!  Not even a little bit.  I don't think about friends or family or FB or blogging.  None of it.  I'm soaking up being on vacation!

OK enough of my rant.  I get it that cell phones are not going away.  I don't want them to.  I think of the emergency situations that I was thankful to have mine.  My cell phone by the way doesn't text, doesn't surf the web.  It's about 10 years old.  It does it's job but if you try to call me on it.  You won't get me 90% of the time.  the ringer is too quiet, even on it's loudest setting for me to hear it in my purse.

But don't you think that people are getting a little bit TOO connected here lately.  I used to be somewhat addicted to FB.  I would check people's statuses 10-20 times a day.  Now I check in the morning and maybe once or twice in the afternoon.  I've been going whole weekends without checking even once.  It feels good to not have my every move tracked by people, even if they are my friends.

So while they are necessity, to most people, they aren't to me.  I hope I don't ever become one of those people.

No comments:

Post a Comment