Friday, August 12, 2011

Not Going Anywhere

Mark called me on the phone late last week from work.  He tends to be busy so it's not a normal occurrence.  When he does it's usually later in the afternoon, so when I saw the caller ID was him, at around 11am I was intrigued.  And then I cried.  He told me that we could be moving to San Diego.  He said he looked into school systems there and that there were a couple of good ones.  He told me about a nice hefty raise and paid for moving expenses and beautiful weather.  He told me it would be 3 years, 4 tops.  All I could do was cry, big gulping breaths, fat tears rolling down my cheeks.  The ugly cry. (All of my cries are ugly cries though.)

My whole life is right here in Buffalo.  I've never lived anywhere else and I don't want to.  My parents, Mark's parents, every single person we know is here.  How could we move Annabelle away from her grandparents?  We'd have to sell our home and buy a new one.  Find new doctor's and friends and favorite restaurants.  All of our vacations would be coming back to Buffalo, not heading to fun and new places.  We would have to spend Christmas alone.  My heart was breaking just a little bit, can you tell?

He asked why I was crying and I told him all of this.  Then he said, I was just asking what you thought about moving, not that we were actually doing it!  I wanted your opinion, I don't want to leave either.

Jerk, just say that in the first place!!!  I'm not going anywhere!

2 comments:

  1. I was almost crying just reading through your blog. All of our family lives close as well. I'd probably have to have a heart attack if my children moved away and took my grandchild with. :)
    You better stay....there's nothing like being close to family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckily we were on the same wavelength, he just threw me by being so SERIOUS about it. Don't worry Jackie, I'm staying!

    ReplyDelete